Soldier! While serving his country, army officer Lt. Matt Steele was gravely wounded in action! Paralyzed for life, he volunteered for a desperate series of experimental surgeries that rebuilt him from the ground up. The results were unprecedented! Not only did he regain the use of his limbs, but now his body performs beyond peak human capacity! He heals faster than normal, his combat senses are at maximum human efficiency, and he's virtually unstoppable on the battlefield!
Steele always wanted to be all that he could be. Now he’ll be that and more… as the star-spangled Soldier!
Secret Identity: Lt. Matt Steele
Weight: 190 lbs.
Origin Type: Designed
Personality Archetype: No-nonsense, by the book soldier
Experience Points: 16,500
Super Powers and Super Skills:
1) Bionics: Cybernetic implants, nanites and Armor-Mesh skin give:
a) Invulnerability: 8 points of damage may be ignored per turn. Works against kinetic, energy and elemental attacks (not mental blasts or inhaled poison gas, for example.)
b) Heightened Strength: +7
c) Heightened Endurance: +15
d) Heightened Agility: +7
e) Heightened Senses: Night Vision (IR & UV), enhanced telescopic/microscopic vision (x10 max), enhanced hearing (parabolic and ultrasonic), and a thermal imager (to pick up heat patterns). Detects are x 3%
f) Body Power: Healing Rate is doubled.
g) Satellite/ Wi-Fi receiver implanted in skull to download information directly into sub-systems. GPS satellite signals, maps/schematics, CHESS files, etc. (Level Three Advancement)
2) Heightened Expertise: +5 to hit with all military weapons, including unarmed combat. (includes Level Four Advancement)
3) Special Weapon: “Smart Pistol": Firearm with bio-metric hand reader that only allows Soldier to fire it (his nanites broadcast a signal to the pistol). Range: as per pistol. Damage: 1d8. Attacks on HTH table. Holds 12 bullets. (Level Two Advancement)
a) Disruptor rounds: less lethal, small Taser-like bullets that disrupt the central nervous system.
b) Explosive Rounds: +3 to hit, 1d8 damage, 1” blast radius. (Level Three Advancement)
4) Patron: Vehicles, base, mundane gear and weapons are all available through an employer.
1) Special Requirement: Must undergo routine treatments to prevent his body from rejecting the implants. If not done weekly, the results could be catastrophic.
2) Vulnerability: Magnetic attacks are double damage. Hit point damage taken is also the percentage chance of a system failure or overload, as per V&V rules.
3) Patron: Character may be required to perform tasks and duties at employer’s request.
Hit Points: 57
Power Points: 81
Carrying Capacity: 1108 lbs.
Hand-to-Hand Damage: 1d10
Accuracy: +4 to hit (+9 with HTH and military weapons)
Damage Modifier: +3
Detect Hidden: 51%
Detect Danger: 63%
Reaction Modifiers: +3 from Good, -3 from Evil
Movement: ground: 66” per combat turn. (One inch equals 5 feet)
Healing Rate: 5.6 hit points per day.
Luck Points: 5.9 as of Issue 159
-Baton: +2 to hit, HTH + d4 damage
-Carbon Fiber Knuckles in Gloves: +d2 damage
Occupation: former US Army Officer
Skills: Military Subculture, Leadership, Tactics, History, Helicopter Pilot, Paratrooper, English, Occult Studies, First Aid, Vanguard non-verbal signal code, Manta Craft Pilot
Steele’s father is a retired Army general, who sits on the board of directors for several major defense contractors, and his mother is well placed politician. His mother and father have bigger goals for him down the road, namely political office.Due to a difficult birth, his mother was unable to have any other children. Matt has two uncles on his father's side, one works for a powerful DC law firm, and the other is the black sheep of the family.
Notes: Soldier reduced his Vulnerability with his 5th Level Advancement, so that it no longer included Electrical Attacks.
He's focused on doing the job, and doing it correctly. He's the guy that spends his down time in the gym training; always trying to make himself better. Matt holds a low opinion of those who don't put out maximum effort. He'll bump heads with guys he thinks goof off too much.
He's also a little paranoid about his implants, and the nanites, but he'd never admit it. While he's never had an issue with them, he knows that without them, he'd still be in his wheel chair.
CHESS and a major defense contractor worked together to develop the life-altering treatments. This is how Matt knows Doc Rocket and CHESS Agent Sam Drake.