Vanguard Roll Call!

Vanguard Roll Call!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Vanguard: Issue 107: Who Among Them Shall Lead?


OOC:
Hey gang,
Here's four things I need you to do this issue:

1) Have a look at your new improved character sheets, attached, and give me approval and/or feedback. You guys are getting pretty tough. I gotta take the kid gloves off. ;)
Harold, Clone's sheet will answer your questions about him.

2) Please note some of you have lots of Luck Points. These things are useful for more than surviving battles. If Symbiote wants to explore the Digital Zone, a Luck Point or two could provide the scientific breakthrough. Sentinel wants to begin an organization for charitable extranormals, Avatar wants to search for other supernaturals, Lightning Strike wants to hunt Silas Caine, a Luck Point could help it happen. If you want to spend a Luck Point on something, please let me know. (Luck Point rules provided online)

3) Please continue the IC discussion that was started by Soldier (provided below)

4) Please vote IC whether or not to have a leader/battle tactican. And if you do, then please vote for him! This could take some time so please post early and often.

Then with Issue 108, we start the next mind-shattering saga!

Viva Vanguard!

Best,
Jeff

----------------

Soldier’s in character address to the group:

“I know you’re all probably wondering why I asked for this little get together, so I’ll get started. First off, I know I’ve only been here a short period of time, and I'm still the new guy when it comes to the whole superhero game, but I have made a few observations. All of you know I come from a military background, and I’m used to things running a certain way, so I’m still trying to adapt to the way you guys operate. But, one of things I’ve noticed, and it concerns me, is that there’s no designated leader for this group. While I’m not trying to impose my point of view on you, I do think that in combat, having a specific person dictate, or at least coordinate, our battle strategy could be to our benefit. As it stands now, everyone’s sort of doing their own thing, and I see it as detrimental.

My second suggestion is that we develop specific battle tactics that play to our individual strengths, and play down our weaknesses. We should try to coordinate our attacks and defenses so that we can quickly gain the upper hand against anyone we come up against. We want to operate in the most efficient way possible.

Next on the list, is that we need to develop some form of covert communication, be it a code, simple hand gestures, or whatever we devise. I like us to be able to talk with each other, without having to worry about someone either jamming, or eavesdropping on our communications.

I'd also like to suggest that everyone here get some type of basic medical training. If one of goes down, we can't always expect prompt medical treatment. I'd also suggest that if anyone has any special medical needs, that the others now what they are, and how to provide for them.

My final suggestion is that after any event, we conduct a complete review of the event, to include our own actions, and the actions of our enemies. We need to analyze what we did right, what went wrong, and how we can either sustain, or improve our performance.

Once again, I’m not here trying to pass judgment, or impose my will on the group, but to pass along what I think are valid concerns. If any of you feel I’ve overstepped with my comments, I apologize, but I’d like to hear what you think. With that said, are there any comments, questions, or concerns?”

--------------------------------------------------

Avatar:
"The basic medical training is something that we can all use and will certainly benefit us. I have no problem doing that. Looks like we have a doctor with us, anyway, though he might be too busy fighting bad guys to heal anyone. If it comes down to it, I can manifest healing as a skill (no miracles) and help quite a bit.

I'm also all for better communication. Maybe the scientific-minded among us could come up with some sort of multiband communicator that is encrypted and is small enough to be worn all the time? Or maybe CHESS already has something of the sort? If the latter, I still think that modification would be in order.

I'm also all for working together to develop tactics suited to our own powers and abilities and combinations thereof. I'm willing to work with anyone who is willing to work with me on this.

As for a leader? Not to be argumentative, but I'm not a follower of any sort. I won't follow an elected leader. A spokesman for the group? Yes, that's a good idea...but I'll speak up if I feel that there is something to say. A leader in battle? No, I won't follow orders of an elected leader in battle. If the group wants a coordinator of some sort, that's fine but I don't think that anyone but me can decide how to best make use of my abilities in a fight and I am and will remain self-directing when push comes to shove."

OOC:
Jeff, if you want us to use some Luck Points, how about letting me use Weaponsmithing skill plus a Luck Point or two to forge a better sword for myself? Or armor?

I also want a bow.

--------------------------------------------------

Sentinel:
Hi Jeff:
Just making sure I understand - this 'issue' is the continued discussion about leadership, etc per the bottom of the email? There was no "Issue 107" attachment to my email, only the character sheets. Since this has never happened before (ie no Issue# attachment) I want to be sure.

On the character sheets:
For Clone: I was just wondering, and I think it would have come up in conversation by now, does Alexander have the memories of 'defected' Clone? Since there was no empathic link did he ever have any indication of him at any time? Of his 'demise'? If not, then really there is the possibility that he survives somewhere, yes?

FYI, with Alexander's description of his family Kirk is even more committed to helping them be found and safe. And Kirk can't help but feel a bonding with him based on his personality (ie helping and protecting the weak/innocent, etc)

On my character sheet, a couple of questions:
(1) We had started having a "?" next to mutant which you removed since the Harper Harness didn't work on duplicating Kirk's power - that appears to have been removed. Deliberate or accidental? If deliberate, did we figure out why the Harness didn't work and did I just forget?
(2) Advancement this level: My normal 'rules' confusion - I thought a full stat advancement was a +7 and yet I see only a +4 for the heightened charisma. I thought it was +3 or +3/+4 if split between two stats. If the +7 to charisma is too much at this time, can I get the balance applied to another stat? We have had him continue physical training for one of those stats for a few more HPs or we could even place it on intelligence (unless that increases the same stuff you don't want increased right now). Unless there is another rule at play that I don't know about here (which certainly is possible).

On the luck point, if that is what is needed to get the infrastructure in place for Kirk's charitable good deeds to become a formidable force for good for those he wants to help and would allow the means for others to be involved by all means, I couldn't think of a better use for it at this time. I'd hope that this would mean he 'falls in' with the right people so that no one within the organization has grand nefarious plans behind it (ie someone like Swastika or Caine is ultimately pulling the strings behind it and it is a front for something Kirk wouldn't want to be involved with --- yes, yes, or course I'm paranoid that anything intended for good turns out bad :) ...) Let me know what you are thinking about here regarding the setup of things ...

Also since my IC reply was the last on the debate before this issue was released I'll give some OC current on this for the moment that I don't think has been mentioned:

Let's say we did implement a leader or even coordinator beyond what we have been doing now, in just plain playing terms, given that we aren't all sitting around a table like in the old days, how would we handle it? Wouldn't it add another layer of structure in getting a 'round' or 'issue' done and delay things that much further? At this point the reality is that most issues close several days after GM 'deadline' simply because the demands of life require it. At some point it is likely that each one of us has delayed the issue due to a late reply. That is the simple reality with over a half dozen people trying to coordinate a recreational event via email and is understandable.

If we had a 'leader' it would seem that we would have to get character replies in (current deadline), wait for the leader to decide what the team should do and let Jeff and the rest of us know, and then have time for each character to decide if they want to follow the 'leaders' dictates (suggestions?) or do something else. It would be like having three deadlines to close a round instead of one. Do we really want to add that much more work and delay to getting the latest issue of Vanguard?

And what is the 'leader' is the one having a busy 'real' life at the moment. With our current status quo, anyone can 'take the lead' in a round, and if someone is busy in the real world they can give a quick and brief reply and the game can continue for everyone ... with a 'leader' we'd really have to wait on that person to have the time to follow everything, analyze it, and determine the 'team action' before play for all can continue.

Again, just pointing out the methodical issues involved in the game play (beyond the character/player issues already being discussed).

Best,
Seth

--------------------------------------------------

Symbiote:
Private to GM:
Heh. It's gotta be like herding cats, trying to get us to choose a leader, isn't it Jeff?

FWIW, if it comes to a vote, I still vote for Sentinel, whether in secret ballot or public vote (I'll role play it if we vote publicly). I will once again abstain from running--not because Hal feels too inexperienced this time, but because he feels the time and energy needed to bring himself up to speed with his medical training would detract from his role as a team leader.

Viva Vanguard,

Greg

--------------------------------------------------

GM:
All: Hi. So far two votes against an elected leader. That they came from the beacon of liberty and the Athenian avenger (birthplace of democracy?) is interesting. :)

Avatar: The sword fits due to your weaponsmithing ability. Where do you forge the sword while you manifest Hephaestus? Where do you want to acquire a bow from?

Are you manifesting Cosmic Awareness while hunting references to other paranormals who may be powered by divine energies?
If yes, where do you do this, what time of day and how many questions do you ask? What are the questions? How many Power Points do you spend concentrating? Are you manifesting other powers and/or skills at the time? Thanks.Sentinel: There is no Issue 107 attachment.

Your origin should have the '?' next to Mutant. My mistake.

Advancement: Sorry for the confusion. Buried in the advancement descriptions last ish was a rules change. Stat increases are now (9 - your new level) points or 3 points, whichever is greater. The better you are, the harder it is to get better. You may add a minor advancement thing (1/4 of a hero point) to fill in the rest if you like, but not another stat increase. Sorry for not announcing the rules change more blatantly. Just trying to keep some control on the arms race. ;)

The Luck Point would help Kirk's organization with: funding, attracting others, generating good publicity, preventing it being a front for dead Nazis, etc. But those things can be done without a Luck Point. Just giving examples how they could be used to advance things faster. Another example is searching for Nemesis in the Digital Zone.

Tell me more about how you envision the foundation's purpose and inner workings please.

Thanks.

Best,
Jeff

--------------------------------------------------

Avatar:
Will try to see if there is some place that I can go to use a forge that might be related to CHESS. It's a stretch, I know, but it's a superhero world, after all, and odder things might occur. If there's nothing, I will see if they can or will equip a workshop for me. If not, I'll hunt for something in private hands where swords are forged and see if the owners will allow me to use their shop.

I will make the bow, too, following the same line of reasoning as above. Will make things out of traditional components rather than anything high-tech.

When using Cosmic Awareness, I'll ensure that it's whatever time might be optimal (have no idea what times or methods that traditional oracles may use). I'll use most of my power points to ensure that I don't go insane or anything like that. I'll use a Luck Point, if necessary.

--------------------------------------------------

GM:
Hi,
Avatar, Luck Point for both weapons, sword and bow?How many questions do you ask? What are the questions? Thanks.

Best,
Jeff

--------------------------------------------------

Avatar:
If I must, Jeff. I'd like to have weapons that, while not in the "Special Weapon" category, are a little better than a normal sword and bow. No sword from Greek myth springs to mind but a powerful bow like Odysseus's might be nice to use as a complement to the archery skills.

As for questions? Honestly, nothing specific comes to mind. I'm just thinking that John would like to know more about his past and the source of his powers. I'm thinking that he was probably raised a Christian but the revelation that he has these powers and that they are from what is, apparently, a source other than mutation (assuming that Symbiote has determined this) might point toward there being some divine power other than the Christian god (God?) and this is confusing to him. He's looking (mundanely) for heroes or villains who seem to have a Greek theme and using the Cosmic Awareness to try and touch the Greek deities (if they exist, he reasons).
--------------------------------------------------

Soldier:
Soldier's character sheet looks good to go. I'm really enjoying reading over everyone's responses to Soldier's speech, so keep em coming.

--------------------------------------------------

Sentinel:
GM said, “You may add a minor advancement thing (1/4 of a hero point) to fill in the rest if you like”

Jeff:
Can you give me an idea of what that gives me to choose from? I was trying to read through your directions in the issue and it didn't specify other than 1/4 of a superpower or something like that. Kirk has been working on the mental disciplines but each of the four parts (he has two) has been a full level advancement thus far so I figured you weren't talking about that much here.

Can you please give me an idea of what you had in mind or some better parameters to decide? Thanks.

GM said, “Tell me more about how you envision the foundation's purpose and inner workings please.”

On this, it depends on what you'd allow but over time here is a possibility:

REACH Organization
Ready Extranormals Advance Charitable Hopes

GOAL
Gifted Organized Altruistic Logistics

When coming up with idea for Kirk some time back I was just hoping he could fall in with the right people to be used as a force for charitable good... but if you are saying with a luck point he could actually become an organizing force all the better.

Since your universe is populated with acronyms I thought of the above, the REACH Organization using GOAL methods to better the world.

Kirk's message is that everyone is special and has 'extranormal' gifts that should be exercised in the pursuit of helping others and making the world a better place. The thought process of merging those currently thought of as extranormal due to their gifts in unique abilities (ie the superhuman community) with the idea that everyone possesses gifts that make them out of the ordinary or extranormal (a beautiful voice, the ability to compose, the ability to write, the ability to create art, etc ie. all gifts).

In a practical way to start how about Kirk volunteering some time to work with disadvantaged kids to make them feel better about themselves and their personal abilities. How about Soldier (assuming he wants to play a role) visiting some VA Hospitals to let the vets know they and what they accomplished isn't forgotten and is appreciated.

Perhaps they could work established charities to further their projects. What if a Youth Center needed to be remodeled and Vanguard promotes the work to get corporations to underwrite it and then Slingshot uses his architectural skills to help redesign it and when the work needs to take place the team shows up to get the job done side by side with the contractors and laborers involved.

How about charitable research hitting a dead end in a specific area that an extranormal has an area of expertise and they make a petition to REACH for assistance. Perhaps Strike or Symbiote could review their operation and research and catch something they missed or give a direction no one had considered to solve a problem they had hit a dead end on.

Perhaps even if some corporations wanted to make use of the talents of volunteering extranormals it could be arranged with a contribution going to charity. How about if medical research was being done to cure an ailment (we are now talking about a business enterprise of research as opposed to a charitable one) and they wanted to makes use of the talents of Strike or Symbiote, perhaps a lump sum could be given to a charity in exchange for their assistance plus if whatever they come up with does lead to the cure or solution then a percentage of all of the profits made by the corporation goes towards funding the cure for those that need it and can't pay (ie charity wins on the front end and back end).

Really, depending on the scope that you would allow it to grow, the possibilities are endless... and the good accomplished could actually change the face of this world.

The organization could grow to be a vehicle of social change and a counter to the selfish greedy mentality of men like Silas Caine.

Kirk had previously stated he wanted to do what he could to help cancer research... what if REACH played an active role in assisting funds for research and then provided a basis of communication where some of the greatest gifted minds (human and extrahuman) worked together to find a cure? In our world one would have to think that much research is duplicated and data classified since corporations pay for it and want to profit from it --- what if some of that could be 'cut through' so great minds don't spend the same time making the same mistakes simply because the information is proprietary to each corporation. How much quicker could cures be found? Add some 'supergeniuses' into the mix and anything becomes possible.

Perhaps in this world with a concerted effort cancer could be cured. What a victory!

Again, these are just some of the ideas that came to me.

If you'd allow with the luck point for Kirk to be able to start and become a guiding force for such an organization then great! Is something like this possible?

Best,
Seth

PS:
Private to GM:
Hi Jeff.
As I sent the last email about the possible charitable organization ...
it just struck me as funny that I'm fighting tooth and nail regarding leadership of Vanguard (ie against it) but at the same time envisioning a role in leading an organization of social change for the world as a whole ... talk about delusions of grandeur :)

Well, you did say when we started the game if you can't live out your fantasies here, where can you?

Seth

--------------------------------------------------

Clone:
Seth Wrote - Hi Kev. Don't think you had Kirk's reply just before Issue 107: (Here it is again) Kirk was going to reply at . . .
Sorry about the confusion Seth - I thought that was an OOC response initially. The reason being was that you mentioned me asking about your Telepathy - that e-mail was OOC - so I just assumed yours was as well. To be honest - I don't think Clone knows about the telepathic abilities that Sentinel has. The only information the Soviet Government gave him about Sentinel was: -Sentinel could form energy and bend it to whatever shape he desired! . . . but maybe Jeff can do what I like to refer to as a "GM Rewind" and say that Sentinels telepathic abilities were included in Clones debriefing on him by the Soviet Government. If he allows it, then I'll make sure to mention it in Clones IC response ( btw - sorry again for not posting it yet ) just to keep the continuity of the conversation flowing the way you had intended it to. So how about it Jeff? Any chance of allowing Clone to have known about Sentinels telepathic abilities prior to meeting him? -Kev

--------------------------------------------------
Sentinel:
Hi Kev.
I thought the comments were IC and thus included it. Sorry about that.

I thought that perhaps Clone had picked up on it in the course of their contact/game actions perhaps even mentioned to him after Vanguard membership was offered and accepted.

We can either delete Kirk's reference entirely or assume he learned it that way.

There really should be little way for the Soviet Government to have knowledge of that ability given Kirk has only had it for such a recent time period and knowledge of it really is limited to Vanguard and Grey and Drake... although I think part of Greg's/Hal's/Symbiote's concerns IC was the possibility of a Chess mole, so Jeff can decide on this ... although if there is a mole and he has this sort of info that is only a few weeks old and so limited in scope we have REAL big concerns here.

Seth

--------------------------------------------------

GM:
OOC Reply to Sentinel:
Let's say the REACH foundation will cost a Luck Point AND the remaining 1/4 Hero Point advancement to start up. It's pretty ambitious (but very worthy).

Reply to Clone:
The Soviets revealed no knowledge of Sentinel's telepathic abilities.Best,
Jeff

--------------------------------------------------

Sentinel:
Totally cool and very generous on your part (assuming no dead nazis are involved :) )

Thanks.

Seth

--------------------------------------------------

Avatar:
No desire for participation in humanitarian organizations

PS:
Private to GM: John will begin to, on occasion, go out and help the homeless and such with either conventional knowledge or, more likely, skills such as Healing. Won't make a big deal out of it or be a member of any organization but will go do it at his own discretion.

--------------------------------------------------

Soldier:
Soldier's willing to participate. But he'd need how much of a time commitment it would require.

--------------------------------------------------

Sentinel:
The time commitment would be up to Soldier (or any hero) and what he would be willing to do.

Unless Jeff states otherwise, I'm thinking that much of this would take some time to get up and running and may even be behind the scenes in downtime.

Any participation would be up to the hero when an activity or event comes up suited to him. When it does come up the hero would be told the time, duration, etc and he could decide at that time if it was possible to assist. Naturally it would be hoped if something came up, the hero would try to make the time, but it would always be a choice. And anyone asking for assistance would also need to be asking reasonable requests.

Charities get many requests, but their resources only go so far. A hero's time is a limited commodity ... even if one is willing it seems that there is more than enough missions to keep us busy for the most part. Since the start of Vanguard, it seems like we've only had a few weeks between major missions. In fact, I could be off-base here, but it would seem like in game time I'd think that perhaps its only been around six months tops since our initial formation unless we took a time jump I'm not remembering.

If Soldier was willing to participate and said he could spend a morning or afternoon encouraging some vets monthly or bi-weekly or weekly during off-mission time then that would be how we'd try to schedule it. His choice.

For Kirk working with the kids, I'd even thought Jeff might use it as an opportunity to perhaps create a modern day "Liberty Brigade". They were the Golden Age Sentinel's equivalent of DC's The Newsboy Legion and went on to becoming successful adults. Senator Doyle who had came out strongly in support of the hero community after the death of Ghost and when Caine was trying to rouse public opinion against us was one of the kids of the Liberty Brigade.

For Soldier perhaps he would start volunteering and might be surprised to find himself learning from and developing a respect and friendship for some old-timers... again just a possibility for some future character development depending on what you and Jeff might like to see in that respect.

But to answer your initial question, there is no real time commitment until things start to develop and then it is his choice.

As far as how quickly and how big things come together - that will depend on Jeff and how much my luck point and 1/4 hero point get me.

Best,
Seth

PS And yes, I've already thought of the potential of how many NPCs Jeff can give us a vested interest in to become potential pawns and victims of our foes ... the only downside I've seen to this development so far. Actually it worries me ... guess I better get another luck point ready for use :)

You know the saying, just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

--------------------------------------------------

Slingshot:
1- New power: Looks good. I'll take it as is.

2- REACH program: Will it cost me a Luck point and a 1/4 advancement to enroll? I'll spend the luck point, but not the level advancement. Scott will start by doing outreach to kids in school (say no to drugs! Study!) or cancer patients. The first by doing goofy malleable stuff, the second by simply listening to people's stories.

He would likely spend two hours (An afternoon?) a week on something like this and depending on how it takes off, he will add or change things.

3- Soldier's Discussion:

[IC]
Slingshot looks at Sentinel and Clone's exchange on the communications smirks and interjects, "If I may? While Sentinel can't provide us with that sort of communication, could Clone do it? If he had a clone with anyone of us, he should be able to relay bits of information back and forth? He knows what's happening to his clones, yes?"

....

Scott continues to reflect on what is being said, "I think we are all a bit too head strong to take orders. It feels a little militaristic and I believe we are more the adventurer types. We all agree that we should train more together and become more cohesive, but we have something of a reticent response to electing a Leader. I think that we should seriously think about getting a combat trainer and coordinator, someone to teach us how to behave in combat and understand what we need to expect from our team member. I'm not sure we would work better with someone barking orders during combat maneuvers.

On the other hand, we all seem to agree that we need a spokesperson. We might as well elect one.
[/IC]

3- [OOC] I won't change my earlier position. If asked to get a combat coordinator or a combat leader, Slingshot will vote Soldier. He would rather not have a combat leader, but a trainer, no problem For the Spokesperson position, he will vote Sentinel.[/OOC]

[IC]
When asked about the Combat Leader position, Scott says, "I would very much not have a combat leader and continue as we have until now a little longer. On the other hand, I believe that we could use Soldier's combat training and I would very much like to follow his lead during training."

When asked about the spokesperson position, Scott responds with confidence, " I would like to nominate and support Sentinel as our spokesperson. He has consistently stepped up to the plate and even now, with his REACH program, he shows where his heart is."
[/IC]

Stephane/Slingshot

--------------------------------------------------

Clone:
Clone would love to help out with the REACH Program. He’s not entirely sure what he can do to help, but he’s more then willing to and will take any direction given to him. Given his background, this is something that he’d really like to pursue and he’d definitely give it 110%.
He will inform everyone though that before he commits to any long term endeavors here in ‘The States’ he wants to try to head back to the Ukraine and search for his family – assuming of course that the U.S. Government and Vanguard will allow him to.
As for the group discussion, Clone won’t actually jump into the conversation too much. Being new to both the group and the country; he will try to sit and listen more then anything so that he be able to get a better handle on how things work in The Vault and in the U.S. The few things that he will add to the conversation are as follows:
RESPONSE TO AVATAR When Avatar makes the following statement: ( Avatar’s IC Response ) Clone is, pardon and forgive me, a relative lightweight in a straight-up supers fight. He's useful because he can be one consciousness controlling multiple bodies in multiple locations and THAT is a force multiplier of GREAT consequence. There are plenty of times where this would have come in very handy for us. First, multiple copies in various places can be an infallible and secure means for us to communicate. Second (and perhaps most importantly), the coordination possible for multiple actions can present lots of options. Clone's usefulness needs to be more fully explored. I have a feeling that, if his advantages are played out correctly, he can be FAR more than a basically normal guy who can copy himself."
He will turn and lean over to Soldier with a puzzled look on his face and say in a loud whisper: ( Clone’s IC Response ) He is knowing I am in room and can hear him – yes?
RESPONSE TO SLINGSHOT ( Slingshot’s IC Response ) Slingshot looks at Sentinel and Clone's exchange on the communications smirks and interjects, "If I may? While Sentinel can't provide us with that sort of communication, could Clone do it? If he had a clone with anyone of us, he should be able to relay bits of information back and forth? He knows what's happening to his clones, yes?"
( Clone’s IC Response ) Nyet . . . I am not knowing what it is that I am knowing when I am more then just one me.
COMMUNICATION Clone will add this to the topic of team communication: ( Clone’s IC Response ) I was long speaking to comrade Sentinel and he was explaining his way of talking to minds . . . perhaps this is best of choices for quiet communications. Maybe it is his mind that can talk to all of teams minds at one time.
VOTING When the subject of voting comes up Clone will respond with the following: ( Clone’s IC Response ) Voting? Da . . . I am familiar with this ‘voting’. . . it is Ukrainian invention. When we are voting in Ukraine it is job of Kremlin to tell us how to pick . . . who is it that will be telling us here?
Should someone take the time to explain how an actual vote works Clone will respond with the following: ( Clone’s IC Response ) That is most amazing thing! This country is truly wonder of place . . . it is even better then Leningrad!
END OF DISCUSSION At some point towards the end of the discussion Clone will begin to get the impression that there might not be a vote for a group leader and he will interject ( at the most awkward time possible ) with the following: ( Clone’s IC Response ) There is great thing once being said by great Soviet leader Yosif Stalin, "Change is law of life, and those who look only to past or present are certain to miss future."
As the group just stares at him for a second wondering what the Hell he’s talking about ( and not to mention linking the absolutely wrong person with that quote ) he will begin to explain: ( Clone’s IC Response ) . . .these are not my words of course. He will then fold his arms in front of himself and wait for the discussion to continue. Should someone actually bring to his attention that he gave the wrong person credit for that quote a look of confusion, and embarrassment and feigned humorous acknowledgement will cross his face and he will respond to the person: ( Clone’s IC Response ) I was making little joke, -insert name-. You take me serious? You are funny one comrade -insert name-.
ICE BREAKER Should the discussion get heated at anytime, Clone will interject with an almost reflective tone with the following: ( Clone’s IC Response ) One night Granny in house was telling gypsy fortunes, Granny was saying two things I remember. ‘It is easier for mare when woman gets off cart,’ and ‘Elderberry is in kitchen garden, therefore uncle is in Kiev.’ . . . I am not knowing what it is that these words are meaning, but maybe you can see wisdom in them for each of you. He will then look at all parties involved in the heated exchange with an almost fatherly look, and give them that ‘chill out’ look that anyone who has a sibling(s) that they fought with when they were younger almost certainly got at least once in their lives. lol Hopefully this will ease any developing tension as everyone tries to wrap their brain around what he just said and they try to figure out what the Hell all that crap he just said actually meant. lol Talk to all of you soon, -Kev

PS:
Private to GM: Hey Jeff - I'm not sure if we decided to actually vote for a leader or not, or if it was supposed to be a secret ballet or not - so just in case we were and it is - heres Clone's vote. Sentinel - for leader, for reasons I'm not even sure of myself; I get the feeling that Clone would probably vote for him. -Kev

--------------------------------------------------

Avatar:
That was supposed to be OOC and just me theorizing with you guys IRL but that is just too hilarious to want to negate...

--------------------------------------------------

Clone:
Sorry about the mix-up Harold ( although I'm glad you enjoyed the IC response - I was hoping you would lol J -Kev

--------------------------------------------------

GM:
OOC:Hey,
Stephane/Slingshot: No one has to spend Luck Points or Advancements to join REACH. Sentinel spent that to create REACH asap.

Harold/Avatar said: ‘That was supposed to be OOC and just me theorizing with you guys IRL but that is just too hilarious to want to negate...’

Second that!

Talon: I don't know if I mentioned:
For your advancement you wanted:
a) more Agility
b) reduced effects of Low Self Control

Fyi, for b, the easiest thing to do was boost your Intelligence, since you save against that to keep control. Plus it gives you more hit points, more damage, better detection skills, etc.

Best,
Monty Haul GM

--------------------------------------------------

Lightning Strike:
Strike will support the REACH thing but thinks it is extremely hokey and diverts us from our real mission. Strategy sessions don't really apply to Strike if he is not in contact with the rest of the group. He will participate in training sessions if they are held but will stay completely neutral when it comes to conversations on leadership.

Thanks,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------

Talon:
Adam has little interest in discussions about leadership and humanitarian organizations. When the group looks to him for input on the matters they are discussing, they will find him sound asleep at the back of the room. Wake him up when the action starts.

Denny

--------------------------------------------------

Soldier:
OOC: Just out of curiosity, how would REACH be incorporated into gameplay? I can easily see soldier doing some character work for Disabled American Veterans, or stopping by the VA hospital. I'd see how he'd interact with some of the other Vanguard members if they'd like to tag along with him.

--------------------------------------------------

Slingshot:
Jeff,
You know what? I like the idea of the REACH program. Scott would be someone that would really like for something like this to really succeed. I'll blow a luck point into my portion of it. I'll make sure that IC there's some show that Scott's time is being allocated to it.

--------------------------------------------------

GM:
Tony and Denny, some clarification please. I'm tallying leadership votes. You both said you're ignoring the discussion.
Should I count you as:
-a vote against a leader
-no vote either way.

Thanks.

Best,
Jeff

--------------------------------------------------

Talon:
Against. Until a plan is developed and agreed upon.

--------------------------------------------------

Lightning Strike:
I agree. I am against as well.

--------------------------------------------------

Avatar:
There's scant hope of this superhero team ever unionizing.

--------------------------------------------------

Soldier:
So, once you get there replies, can we see what the vote count is? Also, Soldier while he won't state it, Soldier will be pissed that some of his teammates decided to ignore the discussion. He'll make a note of it, and address it at a later time.

--------------------------------------------------

Sentinel:
Hi All.
A quick thanks to everyone on the replies to REACH. I will try to do an IC at some point.

And Kev, Clone stuff had me rolling - you are totally gifted! Great stuff! And what a nice foil to my Kirk postings style of self-introspection.

Jeff - inspiration came this morning regarding a possible benefactor - although you may already have plans.

If not, this morning it came to me - we can use one of the Liberty Brigade boys.

To Kirk's downtime discussion with Doyle about a charitable venture we can add an epilogue where after Kirk leaves the office Doyle pours himself a drink, walks over to the wall with his old time framed photos of the Liberty Brigade and smiles at first thinking about old times, and then something more. He walks back to his desk, dials a number, "Sean ... yes, it has been some time. I've got something you might be interested in ..."

For some reason I'm thinking Sean O'Malley as a name. I like the idea of the successful businessman of the group being of Irish decent (maybe we can have Kev do some dialogue for him too :) ) - it gives a nice tie-in to the original Sentinel and to some previously established stuff and gives good reason for both his support of the 'gifted community' and Kirk's message and it provides a solid reason for trust in our benefactor as being on the up and up.

Just an idea if you hadn't thought of one previously.

Seth

--------------------------------------------------

GM:
OOC: Next Vanguard issue comes out later today, including the vote results!!!
I missed a question from Clone: He wrote:
"As for Clone’s Skills – I have a question / request Jeff. Instead of having the Ukrainian language as a skill ( which would probably be a default skill since he’s Ukrainian ), could we swap it out for some type of Theology Skill instead? Given his background I was thinking it might make a little more sense. "

GM Reply: Hi, Everyone's native language is free. So Ukranian was free, like English is for all the other PCs. I just didn’t mark it on their sheets but I will now. Want to trade something else out for Theology?

Best,
Jeff

--------------------------------------------------

Symbiote:
I know I'm late on this (been out of town for job training), but yes, I'm in for REACH.

--------------------------------------------------

Sentinel:
Hi everyone.
Given that Kirk brought up REACH, I thought it proper for his reaction to everyone, so here it is. Hopefully I'll get some moments to respond to the new issue shortly.

IC:
Kirk anxiously awaited his teammates thought and replies regarding the REACH program.

Avatar was the first to respond simply stating, "No desire for participation in humanitarian organizations."

As Kirk heard the words in his mind's eye he saw a teardrop run down Aphrodite's cheek. But he quickly realized the only possible explanation and replied, "Of course John, I understand completely. With your trying to get a handle on your transformation into Avatar and what that means for you, your time and energies are devoted to that pursuit. If I can assist in any way, you know I'm here." And then Kirk added, "Sometimes we become so focused that what we are searching for eludes us and when we change that focus, what we had been seeking has a way of finding us. I hope that if something comes the way of REACH that is especially suited for your special skills and talents, you'll consider assisting at that time."

Slingshot replied next very positively and Kirk was overjoyed to hear about his ideas and that he wanted the program to succeed so much. Then Clone chimed in with his support of 110%.

Kirk was thrilled and reassured him and said, "Alexander, you have MUCH to offer to the program. Think about the encouragement you can give from your background. You represent the melting pot of hope that is America and can inspire anyone here looking for the American dream ... and Scott you embody the idea that anyone that feels they are different can embrace that diversity and use it as a means to shine. We are going to accomplish great things together for so many people."

Then Strike commented he would support REACH even though personally he felt it diverted them from their real mission and was hokey.

Kirk thanked him for the support and added, "I know this isn't your sort of thing and I'll be sure to keep any requests that come your way to a minimum and especially suited to your unique talents." Truth be told Kirk was actually surprised to see anything beyond tacit support coming from Strike and wasn't even sure he'd receive that ... he took it as a sign that he must have earned at least a modicum of respect from the electrical virtuoso in their months of association and it gave him hope that perhaps he could see beyond his obsession.

He saw Talon's lack of interest and was not surprised knowing Adam was still struggling to find his place and life had given him a good reason for a distrust of things.

Still, Kirk thought, perhaps as REACH gets up and running he might find the right sort of person in need to reassure Adam that there was good reason to put yourself out there for others beyond their Vanguard endeavors. Kirk thought, how about a WWII vet that was a tough as nails 'enemy ace' that flew through the skies making them safe for 'our boys' or perhaps a young child that couldn't walk who yearns to meet his hero Talon who does better than walk ... who zooms through the skies with abandon and power ... just as he sees himself being in his mind even if not in his body.

Hal added his support and Kirk smiled and said, "I knew from the beginning of my ideas that I could count on you. Thanks for confirming my confidence in you ... though with all the hats your wearing as our resident genius and now our acting medical lead we'll have to be careful not to spread you too thin."

Scott continued to add his enthusiasm for the project and his ideas and it gave Kirk even more confidence that they could succeed in doing something fantastic here!

"Thank you all for your support my friends. I'll do my best to put actions behind these ideas and make REACH into something incredible ... and I know its success will be due to all our efforts together."

OOC As REACH continues to develop, if Scott has the time and desire as things develop he'll look to him for help with decisions and the infrastructure and that sort of thing. Again, not looking to push anything on Slingshot beyond what he wants to do, but Kirk is more than happy to take whatever involvement other members want to give and it seemed perhaps Slingshot would like to take a very active role along with Kirk in things... Stephane much thanks for the extra support of REACH, that was incredibly generous of you!

Seth

--------------------------------------------------

Avatar:
Kirk seems so earnest in this that John feels a little bad about giving REACH the cold shoulder. He will take Kirk aside and confide in him that John, as Avatar, has been doing things "off the radar" to help people on a case by case basis, as has been explained to Game Master Jeff (doesn't that sound like a rapper?) in private e-mails. John will ask Kirk to keep it between the two of them but will explain that it was Kirk's vision of REACH that inspired him to do it.

Perhaps Aphrodite will not cry quite as much in Kirk's mind since this has been revealed.

--------------------------------------------------

Slingshot:
It'll entirely depend on what Jeff throws at Slingshot over the next little while, but otherwise, I'm cool with Scott taking a front position.

As far as spending a Luck point, don't worry about it. I haven't really spent any since the beginning, so spending one on "real good" is fun.

Stephane

--------------------------------------------------

Sentinel:
Kirk thanks John for his taking him into his confidence and tells him that he will keep his efforts confidential since that is what he wants and that if anything comes up that feeds into any of Kirk's areas of expertise he will help John any way he can.
... and Aphrodite smiled ...

Seth

--------------------------------------------------